We are seeking to raise funds to support the Rising Leaders Institute, an opportunity for high school juniors in surrounding high schools to explore their own leadership potential while preparing them for life beyond high school.
Who we are
The Rising Leaders Institute, is A three-day institute for high school Juniors to:
- identify their unique qualities and strengths in order to develop a personal statement.
- understand and identify their own personal values and how to translate those into action.
- learn how to effectively communicate their stories in order to promote themselves as leaders.
The institute is facilitated by two current TCU student DIRECTORS AND 20 TCU student leaders. Staff is heavily involved in developing the experience; however, the student leaders SERVE AS MENTORS and role models for the high school students.
The Rising Leaders Institute began in the Summer of 2017 as opportunity to connect with high school students in the local community to explore who they are as leaders while also learning about the college experience. The students attending the Rising Leaders Institute come from marginalized populations, may be students of color, and are first-generation college students. In the first year of the program, 33 students attended and 6 enrolled at TCU. In the second year, 66 students attended and 17 enrolled at TCU. Students who attended the institute reported the institute increased their interest in attending college and applying to TCU.
In addition to the attendee experience, the Institute provides an opportunity for TCU students to get involved and serve as advocates for the high school students. For these twenty-two students, Rising Leaders is a program that they personally connect with because the high school students reflect their own experiences. These students have told us on several occasions that the leadership position in Rising Leaders fulfills their passion and sense of purpose more so than other leadership positions they hold on campus.
We are raising money to be able to provide this unique college experience for as many high school students as possible. Last year we had to turn away over 100 students who were interested in attending the Rising Leaders Institute.
Where the money will go
- All the money will go towards paying for housing and meals for the students.
- When we exceed our initial goals, the extra funds will be invested in the students in providing supplies such as draw string bags, journals, and pens. Excess fund will also be used to provide students with t-shirts to wear on the last day of the institute to mark their time together.
- Initially, we will provide weekly updates of our progress. As we get closer to the end, we will provide more frequent updates.
Find us here
Follow Student Development Services on Instagram (tcu_sds) to find out how we're doing!
Help us succeed!
- The future of Fort Worth can be found in the education and possibilities of the youth. Help spread the news and show your support for FWISD students and other public high schools near Fort Worth. Share our link on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media outlets.
- With your help, we can make a difference!