The new Rhino Initiative Club is aiming to raise $10,000 for the TCU Rhino Initiative benefiting rhino conservation in Africa.
Who we are
The Rhino Initiative Club is new to tcu's campus and is giving students a chance to be involved in the pre-existing tcu rhino initiative, which has been active for five years. we are a group of students with a passion for rhino conservation who want to make a difference in this ongoing global crisis:
Katie Lawton | President | Junior | Environmental Science Major, Biology Minor
Abby Fredrick | Vice President | Junior | Business major- managing people and Organizations
Madeline Bailey | Treasurer | Junior | Accounting Major
Julie Miler | Public Relations Coordinator | Sophomore | Marketing & Film Double Major
Camilla Price | Event Coordinator | Freshman | Biology Major, Journalism Minor
Michael Slattery | Faculty Advisor
Rhinos are being brutally poached in South Africa for their horn at a rate of over three per day. In the last five years we have lost over 5,000 rhinos, and the numbers keep climbing. All proceeds from our fundraiser will go towards rhino protection, rescue, and rehabilitation in the Eastern Cape of South Africa.
After traveling to South Africa on the TCU study abroad trip last summer and seeing the impacts of the rhino crisis first-hand, we felt called to action. We started the Rhino Initiative Club in order to get students involved as part of the solution to saving the majestic rhino from afar.
With one rhino poached every 8 hours, time is of the essence, and we would be so appreciative of any support you can offer! With your donation, you can rest assured that your money is being used to make a global difference for a beautiful, dwindling species.
Where will the money go?
The funds raised in this campaign will go towards any and all expenses for rhino conservation at a game reserve in South Africa. This encompasses any needs they may be facing, which may include anything from costs for procedures on poached rhinos to expenses of anti-poaching efforts. Last year, our group was able to perform seven dehorning procedures on white rhinos to reduce their likelihood of being poached. Procedures like these as well as relocations of rhinos are very important to rhino management, but are very expensive.
Any funds raised towards our goal can go directly towards protecting and conserving rhinos in South Africa, so every cent will be put to great use! Here are some examples of what your donations could cover:
- $10 would cover the cost of two injections in the treatment of an injured rhino
- $50 would cover the cost of an anti-poaching tracking dog in the field for one day
- $200 would cover the cost of all injections in the treatment of an injured rhino
- $300 would cover the cost of one rhino VHF tracker that enables an anti-poaching unit to locate a rhino 24/7
Thank you for your support! We will give frequent updates on our fundraising progress on our Instagram page, @tcurhinoclub. Follow us for updates!
Find us here
Follow us to keep up with our progress and learn more about what we do!
Help us succeed!
- If you are able to donate, we would greatly appreciate it! Any amount is helpful in getting us closer to our goal.
- You can also support us by sharing this project with others on Facebook, Instagram, email, text, etc.
- If you're in the Fort Worth area, consider joining us at the annual Rhino Run 5K to participate in the Rhino Initiative's main event of the year benefiting our cause! All are welcome to this family friendly event on March 22, 2020 at 8:15 AM.
- Register for the Rhino Run 5K or the Kid's 1K here: https://runsignup.com/Race/TX/FortWorth/TheTCURhinoRun
- If you're a TCU student interested in learning more or joining our club, contact us on our Instagram page!